Friday, September 2, 2011

Game One Preview: Alma Mater vs. Almost Alma Mater

Say that five times fast.

Finally...it begins


       


Hokie blood runs deep in my family. My father and step father both graduated from the university in the early 80's. My mother was just down the road at Radford. Even my great grandfather lived in Blacksburg my entire life until he passed away at the age of 99 a couple years ago. More impressive than how long he lived was the fact that he continued to go to many Hokie football and basketball games all the way up to and including some of his last years with us.

Some of my best memories as a child were going to the game on Saturday, followed by going over to my great grandparents after to spend time with them and other extended Hokie family. No one can make a twice baked potato as well as my great grandmom.

It was always my dream to follow in my father's footsteps and attend Virginia Tech, but in October of my senior year of high school plans started to change. Even with above average grades in high school, I wasn't convinced I would be accepted, and if I was, I knew how much money it would cost my parents for out of state tuition. I had visited Appalachian State with my best friend, and it became a plan early on for him, my girlfriend, and I to go to school together there.

In March of 2004, a few months before graduation, things appeared to be falling apart. My best friend had been accepted, but had to wait until Spring Semester to enroll. My girlfriend and I broke up, like many high school relationships do. Then another thing happened I hadn't planned on. An acceptance letter came from my dream school.

It wasn't an automatic decision to change my choice of college, but over the next few days it became clear it was what I was meant to do. If I wanted to start of my adult life right, and try my best to have no regrets, it started with the decision to go to the school I had always wanted, even though it meant leaving behind everything and everyone I was familiar with to do so.

Appalachian State Preview


The Mountaineers, in case you weren't aware, have been the most dominate 1-AA team over most of the last decade. Most know about their 3-peat of National Championships in the mid 2000's. Everyone knows about their upset of Michigan. (Ironically the only reason I was able to see this game, was because I was in a wedding the day it happened and had to miss the VT opener vs ECU, one of two home games I missed in my five football seasons at Tech.)

This year ASU is still expected to be one of the heavy favorites to contend for the 1-AA championship, and they look to try and knock off another top-15 team on the road to begin their journey. The biggest hurdle for them is the fact that JMU tipped off the Gobblers last year what 1-AA are capable of, so they won't have the element of surprise on their side.

On offense, the Mountaineers have a few big playmakers. QB DeAndre Presley stepped in for the infamous Armanti Edwards and was able to fill his shoes quite nicely in his first year as a starter.

(In a side note, is there any more proof of how horribly managed the Carolina Panthers are than how high they drafted Edwards? I mean he was good, and I understand wanting the local hero, but that pick was AT LEAST two, if not three, rounds too high. I digress.)

Presley's favorite target this year should be Brandon Quick, who many project to be the first 1-AA player selected in next year's draft. 6'5, 220 is a nice target for any qb to be throwing to, and he should be able to dominate most of the competition in their league. Unfortunately after Quick, the wideout situation becomes very thin, with their next two top receivers only accounting for seven receptions so far. I expect to see VT putting a lot of double coverage on Quick, and try to force the ball to ANYONE else.

Running back showcases another versatile player in Travaris Cadet. Like Quick, he's blessed with having a sweet last name. Oh, and he's also blessed with the ability to hurt defenses in a myriad of ways. He can run, he can catch,  he can throw, and he returns kicks. If ASU tries any trick plays throughout the game, which is almost a guarantee, look for him to be involved.

On defense, the 'Neers have more questions than answers however. After not being very effective in 2010, particularly against the run, Coach Moore has switched from a 4-3 base to a 3-4. Without any film of this, it is hard for me (who isn't great with the X's and O's) to know what to expect, but even the VT coaches this week have said they don't know either. No matter what though, expect VT to try and use David Wilson's speed to counter any defensive assignments, along with spreading out the passing game to the plethora of capable receivers the Hokies are blessed with this year.

The biggest treat for college football fans in this game will actually be off the 120 x 55 1/3 yard playing field. Frank Beamer and Jerry Moore are two of the best coaches at their respective levels and programs. They're the kind of coach you expect to put their team in the best situation to win, no matter the opponent. They are separated by only fourteen career wins (240 for Frank, 226 for Jerry) and by only one at their current schools (198 for Frank, 199 for Jerry). These are the kind of coaches you don't see much these days. Coaches who not only love where they work, but where there is equal love coming back at them from their employers and fans.

When all is said and done I expect the score to be a little lopsided, but the Mountaineers might be able to keep it close for the first couple quarters if their offense is able to strike quick and early before defenses get settled down. While ASU obviously wants to win, the reality is they play these games for the exposure, the paycheck, and preparation for their lesser competition down the road in an attempt to bring the National Championship trophy back to Boone. And after this game, I'll be rooting for them all the way, just as if I had been given the wonderful opportunity to spend 4-5 of the greatest years of my life there.

Score Prediction: Gobblers: 38, Mountaineers: 14


H-O-K-I-E-S HOKIES!


1 comment:

  1. What kind of jerk would schedule his wedding during a VT game, and make you participate?

    At least we beat ECU that year.

    ReplyDelete