Sunday, September 18, 2011

Week 3 Thoughts

Well on the bright side, our WR corps will be a bit deeper and experienced for 2012. I feel really bad that Dyrell now has to sit out another year after missing the second half of last season as well. Even worse that it's for a completely unrelated injury to what sidelined him last year. That's just bad luck.

For the first half, The Lieutenant showed a good progression from the first couple games. The two interceptions on Saturday aren't what bothers me as much as how many more there could be without drops by defenders in all three games so far. He needs to get better at going through his progressions and not staring down the intended target from the snap. We also need to take into account that the Red Wolves have ten senior starters on defense, so while they might not statistically be a great defense, they are an experienced group.

In my opinion, one part of the playcalling that needs to be changed is more runs to the outside, especially when The Jet is in the backfield. David is just as strong as he is fast, but we need to give him more space to do his magic in than right at the heart of the line. This is even more important when we're closer to the endzone to try and help our redzone offense. I'm not saying it has to be more outside than inside, but more than what is being called in the past two games.

Right now we can't thank Bud's crew enough for how amazing they're playing and how much they've improved since nine months ago. With the exception of the one big play to start the game for ASU with a great out-and-up route, this could have been the first shutout of the season. Depending on the score differential late in the game and how much backups are being used, I'm looking for the big zero on the scoreboard for Marshall next week.

Overall this week, the only real complaint I can come up with is the inefficiency at punching the ball in after a long drive. Hopefully the playcalling becomes a little more diverse once Logan gets more comfortable with the playbook and opposing defenses become stronger. I'm not complaining like most used to do with Stinespring when I say the playcalling needs to expand. I feel it is very possible against these weaker non-conference teams that we're not showing our full hand. When we play games where points could come at a premium, there are probably a number of plays in the arsenal for those exact situations.

The bottom line at this point in time is the Hokies are 3-0. We are also the highest ranked ACC team in one poll. If you want, you can always find negatives to complain about, but when they don't outweigh the positives, the fanbase needs live in the moment, and not in an unknown and unlikely dark future.

Across the ACC


The biggest story for the weekend (since we couldn't knock off #1) has to be the expansion. I agree that Pittsburgh and Syracuse aren't going to do much for the conference on the football side of things, but there are a lot of good that will come from adding them. The obvious winner in this is how much better the ACC is going to be at basketball, and we were already pretty damn good. In reality, the ACC is always going to be a basketball-first conference.While football might be the big moneymaker, and usually the thought process behind other conference's expansion, this decision from this commissioner and league doesn't surprise me.

Another great positive for this is we now know that the conference isn't going to dissipate anytime soon. I normally don't care to worry about expansion possibilities until something concrete happens, but my #1 choice regarding the Hokies and their conference affiliation was to stay in the ACC if we didn't lose any current schools to another conference. Between the adding of Cuse and Pitt, and the extreme increase in buyout cost to leave the conference, I don't see any of the 12 current schools leaving.

On the field this week, the conference did well for themselves. Miami and Clemson took care of their ranked opponents at home, and Maryland almost had a huge comeback against WVU. There were no scares in the games that shouldn't have been close, and the two inter-league games were competitive. With all 12 teams in action on Saturday, the most disappointing loss was by 10 to the best team in the country.

This week saw my predictions take a hit from the previous two weeks. Instead of only missing one game, I missed a disappointing two this week. I'll probably lose readers for a while until I can get back to looking like I know what I'm doing. (Sarcasm aside, I thank everyone who takes the time to read my drivel.)

Week 3 Predictions: 8-2
Overall Year-Long Predictions: 25-4


Final Parting Shot


After teasing I would leave Notre Dame alone last week before that Shyamalan quality twist, I have to actually pick a new target this week. My new roommate is an MSU grad who was hoping to get a shout-out if the Spartans pulled out the victory, but losers don't get airtime.

Honestly the only two scenarios I can come up with this week for biggest/best let down for a team would be either UCF or TCU. UCF, after averaging 46 ppg in their first two games, was only able to muster 10 points in a losing effort to FIU. But FIU is 3-0, so while disappointing, not really that bad. Plus given my location, that's the one school I probably shouldn't start putting down.

TCU might be the biggest loser this weekend in regards to conference affiliation. Less than a year before they were set to move up to a BCS quality conference (kind of), they are now stuck going to a conference that may lose even more teams by this time next year. But really that's more sad than funny. I guess what I'm getting at is there isn't a going to be a good "HAHA" this week, and now I'm just wasting your time in reading this.

H-O-K-I-E-S HOKIES!!!


Follow along on Twitter for updates @UtProsimGobbler

No comments:

Post a Comment